High School: Work with us
PROFILE OF A HIGH SCHOOL STAFF WORKER – BASED ON OUR MODEL
The work of an Inter-Varsity high school staff worker is better understood if you look at the characteristics we value in our staff.
- Are true Disciples of Christ and desire to see true discipleship in the lives of their students.
- Are committed to our “Model” and find creative ways to both teach and enact it within our groups.
- Love students and understand that they are young adults who need a compassionate, loving, informed adult to guide and teach them with respect to all issues of life.
- Reach out to the churched as well as the unchurched students.
- Contribute to the school needs by finding a place to use their personal talents or interests apart from the Inter-Varsity High School Ministry group.
- Understand that they are guests in a school and are therefore subject to the rules and decisions of the school staff.
- Understand that the “Gospel” in a holistic sense, is good news for the whole school – even those who may reject it. The key is Christians fully acting out the Christian life within the school community.
OUR STAFF VALUE
- The education of Christian students and challenging them to grow
- On-site school ministry
- Relationships as the key to the work
- Allowing students to question and doubt and to value the process that leads to decisions as much as the decision itself
- Developing students in the area of leadership
- Openness to all students and staff to attend and participate in the activities of the group
- Participation of Christian students in all aspects of the school environment and offer support to them as they live out their Christianity in different situations
- Students caring for other students and their school
- Supporting students outside of the Inter-Varsity High School group but who are committed to living out their Christian life in their school
- Biblical teaching and especially a focus on the Fruits of the Spirit and the messages in the Sermon on the Mount
- Respect for the prohibition on proselytizing by focusing on encouraging students to act as Jesus would were he walking the halls of the school